The world... according to ME

I already know that the world doesn't make sense... I just try to document it.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Stop lying to yourself...

Another age old question that has come up repeatedly in recent weeks is the question of platonic friendship... can men and women be "just friends?"

No.

If you answered yes, stop lying to yourself. The guy that you think is your friend has a massive crush on you, and is waiting for you to come around and realize that he is the love of your life. True.

Okay, so here are the facts. You can be "friends" with people of the opposite sex, but only in a loose casual sense. You cannot be best friends, confidantes, spend long quantities of time together, talk daily, etc, because, lets be honest, you are practically dating them already, and who would blame either party for developing feelings, because you are having a relationship without benefits as is... Now, if you are in college, this is the last time that you can say that you are just friends with a large number of people of the opposite sex without it being a lie. Anyone who you didn't know before college, or meet in college, I hate to tell you, they didn't just become your friend because they wanted another friend. No one 22 years or older is looking for another friend of the opposite sex... and if they say they are, they are lying. If I want a friend, I will befriend a girl that I get along with. If I want companionship, I will "befriend" a guy. Seriously. Men lavish you with attention, and making a man laugh, knowing that he enjoys your company, its all very pleasurable, but on some level, both parties are just feeling each other out for opportunities for more than friendship. I swear to God.

My brother and his girlfriend of 3 years started as friends. I've dated two men in my 22 years on this earth. Both of them started as friends, and ended up boyfriends. And I know someone out there is reading this and harshly disagreeing, but you probably aren't being very honest with yourself. If you don't have feelings for the other person, than you are the cruel heartless manipulative person that is stringing your friend along. True. That's not very friendly. If I'm honest with myself, half of my guy friends are people who were interested in me at some point and settled for the "friends" consolation prize. This is why none of them are close friends. My other guy friends are friends of my beau, therefore making them "safe" because one of us (them or me) would have to be very shady and underhanded to go behind my beau's back. Anyway, that was tangental... what I am trying to say is take it from me... Guys and girls, the friends thing is a facade. Stop lying to yourselves... either get to the good stuff, or stop wasting each others time ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Wait didn't we half write this post together?

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home