The world... according to ME

I already know that the world doesn't make sense... I just try to document it.

Monday, August 01, 2005

The big apple

Here are some things that I learned while visiting NYC...

1.) Sex in the City was not filmed in NYC. The city that Carrie Bradshaw traipsed in Manolo Blahniks had no sidewalk grates, pot holes, bricks, or even subways. This is clearly not NYC, as those things constitute a full 75% of the cities infrastructural makeup.

2.) It rains everyday in NYC. Honestly. Well, sort of. This old city suffers from a lack of central air, meaning that everyone has window A/C units... which means there is a constant dripping from high windows all over the city, hence, NYC rain, the the form of A/C condensation. I was pretty grossed out by this, while New Yorkers seemed to take it in stride fairly well.

3.) It's not always about the money. I went to a bar with my friend. There weren't more than 12 people there, and all of those people were "friends of the bar", and hence, getting free drinks. The entire night, I only saw one person pay for a drink, and this was discounted, because he was a friend of a friend of the bar. I didn't think I would ever see a bar lose money on a Friday night like that, but yes, I did. Guess it's not always about the money.

4.) If three men enter a bathroom together, and reemerge shortly thereafter, they may have been doing cocaine or other illicit drugs. Gay sex should not be your first assumption.

5.) Duck meat is very dark, and tastes reminiscent of roast beef (I don't eat red meat). According to the FDA, duck meat is not red meat, it is still poultry.

6.) New Yorkers have insane stamina. There is a restaurant called Serendipity 3, which serve amazing posh desserts, such as frozen hot chocolate and decadent brownie sundaes. Unfortunately, the wait is always 1.5-2 hours or more, just to get in this place. Apparently, there are lines all day, and it doesn't die down until 1am. Also, if you want to make a reservation, you must do so weeks in advance. Seriously.

7.) Starbucks is my new favorite place. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy anything, but they are great for sitting down after long days on the city, and they have free wireless, and outlets so that I can charge my phone. I used countless Starbucks as I traversed the city. Kudos for Starbucks.

8.) I called my cousin who lives in Brooklyn, to see if I could come visit him. He said that he "was having crazy drama with his wife," and would call me back. I don't know what that means generally, but specifically, it means that he never called back.

The End.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home