The world... according to ME

I already know that the world doesn't make sense... I just try to document it.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Scintillating

I saw a commercial today, where someone just threw out the word "scintillating". I had to pause, because how many people really know what this word means? Is it really effective to market a product using words that the average person can't spell, let alone define. I think I was even more put off because the word wasn't used well... it didn't even fit what they were trying to say. Anyway, I just thought it was odd...

Definition:

Main Entry: scin·til·late Pronunciation: 'sin-t&l-"AtFunction: verbInflected Form(s): -lat·ed; -lat·ingEtymology: Latin scintillatus, past participle of scintillare to sparkle, from scintilla sparkintransitive senses1 : to emit sparks : SPARK2 : to emit quick flashes as if throwing off sparks : SPARKLEtransitive senses : to throw off as a spark or as sparkling flashes - scin·til·la·tor /-"A-t&r/ noun

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

scintillating means sparkly then. What's the name of this product. I want to buy it!!!

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For sake of completeness...

Main Entry: scin·til·lat·ing
Function: adjective
: brilliantly lively, stimulating, or witty

:)

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home