The world... according to ME

I already know that the world doesn't make sense... I just try to document it.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Triathlon

My sister and I are planning on training for a triathlon this year. This includes a .24 mile swim, 13.5 mile bike ride, and 3.1 mile (or 5K) run. This seems doable, because I've done a marathon before, so a three mile run sounds quiant, almost pleasant. The swimming, I feel, will be my weakest area. Also, I need to get a bike.

Anyway, while I was thinking about this triathlon, I thought I would look up the Ironman competition, which is the big daddy of all triathlons. Wrap your minds around this: 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, followed by a 26.2 mile run. Oh, and did I mention that you have to complete the entire race in 17 hours, or be DQed? Oh, and the record? Around eight hours. The human body is an amazing and incredible thing.

Other insane human events include: The Iditarod, The Tour de France, The Badwater UltraMarathon (135 mi through Death Valley). There are probably many others that I haven't heard of... but I remain in awe of the incredible athletes.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest you look into the life and adventures of Ted Keizer (GoLite page here. Dog team's page here.
May this inspire you to greater heights; or give up on the whole exercise thing.. :D

3:21 PM  
Blogger Reeta said...

112 mile bike ride?!?!?! Aww hell naw!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home