The world... according to ME

I already know that the world doesn't make sense... I just try to document it.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Marriage

Yes, yes, I realize that this is a topic of frequent discussion on my blog, but it is a strange and perplexing phenomenon...

Anyway, I was reading an article in Essence yesterday, about "the state of our unions", with our, being Black unions. Here are some quick stats:

34% of of Black Americans are married, vs. 57% of White Americans.

54%: probability that a Black woman will be married by age 30
77% and 81%: probability that a Hispanic or White woman will be married by 30 (respectively)

38,103: number of black male who graduated college in 2001
78,204: number of black women who graduated college in 2001 (read: 2:1)

I was reading this article to my beau, and he commented that Black women didn't want to get married, and that was reflected in the low marriage rates. I beg to differ... In my experience, most women do want to get married. There are a few of us (myself included) that are not extremely excited about the prospect of marriage, but I feel that even most of us in that catagory will eventually relent. (maybe not until we are 30+ though...) The funny thing about women who don't want to get married/aren't in a rush, is that they are treated to such perplexing looks.... why wouldn't a woman want to get married!?! I haven't really worked my list out yet, but someone did.... http://www.sendcoffee.com/minorsage/never.html

I am not saying I agree with everything, but I do share some of her sentiments. One or two, or nine...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danm. Those stats are not looking in my favor.

Will you be a bridesmaid at my wedding?

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home