The world... according to ME

I already know that the world doesn't make sense... I just try to document it.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Well, all Black people DO look alike...


I AM NOT HER!!!

Today I recieved an email from one of my professors, stating that she had missed me in class, and wondered if everything was ok. I had missed one class period, and thought her concern sweet, but perhaps a little overstated... the implication being that I had missed several classes. Now for context, this is a small discussion style class of about 15 students. Most of the students, like myself, are from the home department, sociology, while others are from other departments within the school. My cohort of 12 consists of 2 men, and 10 women. There is one Japanese student, one Chinese student, and I am one of two black females. (If we aren't a poster child for diversity, I don't know who is!!!)

At any rate, I had been in class last week, and thought it odd that my professor had missed and not said anything to me at the time. She had to have seen I was there, I am one of two black students, and this is the 7th week of the semester. Now, it dawns on me that the professor does not know who I am, and has mistaken me for the other black student. I hate to sound cliche, but you know how it is... all us black folks look alike. The other black student, a very intelligent woman, has not been to class in, well, I don't remember how long. But I would hate to think that I have spent half a semester in a class, participating in discussion and interacting with the professor, while all the while, she has NO IDEA WHO I AM. The funny thing is, this isn't the first time that this has happened to me here. The department chair mistook me several times for this other woman, and sadly, he is probably not the only one. So, for the sake of posterity, and to clarify the record, I am posting this, here, saying, I AM NOT HER. I plan to have shirts made, with her picture, stating just that. If I wear it to class enough, maybe they will get the point.

(In all fairness, this picture does not do the situation justice. This girl is at least 5 inches shorther than me, dresses up everyday, wears her hair permed and straightened and has a thick southern accent... I swear to God, we are NOT the same person!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcena said...

Alexis!
Why didn't you tell me you had an identical twin sister?!!!

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home