The world... according to ME

I already know that the world doesn't make sense... I just try to document it.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

An interlude

I have class in 15 minutes, and I don't want to go. I had class this morning, and I did not want to go. What I want to do is get back in that bed of mine, and pull the covers over my head. This morning I had Multiple Regression class at 9:30. I've concluded that I am not capable of comprehending anything that is not singular at this hour. Adding insult to injury, we have spent the last 4-5 weeks reviewing concepts that we learned last semester in our stats class... It seems to me that if this is going to be a 3 semester sequence, then the classes should not have such gross overlap... So all of the other sociology students who suffered through this stuff before are bored to tears... (one of my class mates actually brought a flask to class... its that bad!!!) while students from other departments who hadn't taken our first stats class, sit and ask questions that take up half the period. This to me seems ludicrious, because, well, I had to learn this stuff last semester. Did I understand it then? No. Did I ask questions about it? No. It's stats, an inherently estoric subject, so get used to the feeling of incompetence, you aren't going to get it. You are a grad student for pete's sakes. The best part is, the one guy that asks the most questions is auditing the class. That's right kids, AUDITING. He REALLY doesn't need to get this, but yet, he is hell bent on making sure that the class doesn't progress until he has mastered every detail. It's week 5 and we haven't even STARTED multiple regression... we are still doing simple linear regression, which I swear I could have taught in one week, like the syllabus indicated that we were going to... Oh well. Off to half.com to buy Multiple Regression for Dummies...

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcena said...

Linear Regression?

Tell the guy asking questions to buy a graphing calculator, enter the points, and push enter.

Voila...ever single stat will appear that you ever need to know.

It is magic...

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home